Upside Down Apple Cake (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo)
This cake is very light, kind of like a tea cake. You can also make it with peaches or nectarines so use what is in season at the time. It’s gluten free and dairy free suiting those with sensitivities or who follow the paleo lifestyle.
6 organic eggs from pasture raised hens
250g organic blanched almond flour, sifted
1 1/4 tsp organic gluten free baking powder
1 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground organic nutmeg
1 tsp organic vanilla bean powder or one vanilla bean
1/3-3/4 cup organic coconut sugar. I find that the apples give sweetness to this cake and will use a small amount of sugar.
1 1/2 cups organic mashed apples- these have been peeled, chopped and cooked in water. I do this in big batches and freeze the apples for the next time a recipe calls for apple.
1 organic raw apple, peeled and sliced thinly
1) Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Separate the eggs into two bowls, placing the yolks into the bowl of the electric mixer.
2) Add the sugar and vanilla to the yolks and mix on medium speed until it becomes pale in colour, about three minutes. Then add the cooked apples, mix until well combined
3) Stir in the almond flour, spices and baking powder until well combined
4) Using the electric mixer (be sure that the bowl is clean and dry) Mix the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold this into the cake mixture and pour into a spring cake tin
5) Bake for 50 minutes, then lower the oven to 150 °C and bake for a further 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the over for 1-2 hours with the door ajar.
Serve warm or cold with cream, ice cream or butter.