THE BENEFITS OF CONSUMING FULL FAT ANIMAL PRODUCTS
You have been told for many years to avoid full fat animal products as it has been said they can contribute to high cholesterol, heart disease and obesity but this just isn’t true. There are numerous benefits from consuming animal products such as:
* Bone health- saturated fat aids calcium absorption
* They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.
* Protect the liver from toxins
* Enhance the immune system
* Help with utilisation of, and contain omega-3 fatty acids
* Have antimicrobial properties that help protect the digestive system
A VERY important factor to remember when choosing animal products is to make sure they are grass/pasture-fed. Compared to animals fed grain (soy, corn), pasture fed animals contain:
* Half the amount of fatty acids
* Higher omega-3s
* Higher vitamin A and beta-carotene
* Higher CLA, which are cancer fighting and help to build lean muscle and reduce fat
* A healthier omega-6 to omega-3 ratio
So start visiting farmers markets or find a local butcher and ask them if their products are pasture-fed. Look for grass or pasture-fed cows when choosing dairy and meat and grass or pasture-fed chickens and pork for meat and eggs. (be careful with the term free-range, they are not always roaming and picking at grubs and fresh grass). Mainland (which you can buy at the supermarket) use pasture fed cows and their cheese is delicious and comes in organic.
Skim or skinny dairy products are not beneficial. They have had their fat stripped and do not supply us with Vitamins A, D, E, & K. These fat soluble vitamins have numerous benefits from cell growth, healthy hair, skin and eyes to aiding absorption of phosphate and calcium. Because the calcium has been lost in skim products, it is replaced with synthetic calcium, the body is not very effective at absorbing calcium in this form. Eating full fat products will not make you fat and the benefits outweigh skim/skinny products.