HOMEMADE MUESLI BAR
You would think that muesli bars (or granola bars as some of you may know them as) are a healthy snack. However it is really quite difficult to find one that is not ladened with additives, rancid seed oils and sugar, and quite often numerous different forms of sugar. I think I have come across just one brand which was made with butter instead of vegetable oil and was sweetened with honey and had no additives. But it was so rare that I can’t even remember the name. So unless you have a reliable health food store (it’s still best to check the ingredients), you may not be able to find a healthy muesli bar.
My muesli bars are made with activated nuts- nuts contain an anti-nutrient called phytic acid, which binds to minerals stopping the proper absorption and stripping the body of important nutrients. They are just lightly sweetened and contain coconut oil which has many health benefits.
1 1/2 cups of organic nuts (I use almonds, brazil, pecans and walnuts but feel free to use whatever you like)
1/2 cup organic sesame seeds
1 tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil, melted
1 organic egg from pastured hen
1 tbsp organic ground cinnamon
1/4-1/8 cup of either organic brown rice syrup (for a fructose free version) or unrefined honey, depending on how sweet you would like them. I often leave out the sweetener all together
1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt, I use pink himalayan salt
1/4 cup organic shredded coconut
1/4 cup organic dried goji berries or sultanas
1) Place the nuts in a bowl and fill with water to just cover the nuts. Add 1 tsp of unrefined sea salt, cover and let soak overnight (or for at least 12 hours).
3) Drain the nuts and place on a paper towel to dry a little. Then blend them to the consistency of oats in a food processor
4) Stir in the coconut oil, whisked egg and sweetener (if using one). Followed by the cinnamon, coconut, salt, goji berries and sesame seeds
5) Pour into the prepared tray, and press down with hands to flatten
6) Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and crispy on the edges
7) Once cool, slice into 12 bars
These are great for on the go and are also nice with some yoghurt and berries!