Love Pasta? Here’s How To Make A Healthy Pasta Dish Choices!
Most of us love pasta, I know I do and you may have heard on many occasions to steer clear of it because it is packed with carbohydrates. Packed with carbohydrates is true but there is no need to steer clear of it. There are a few of things to keep in mind when planning a pasta meal;
1) Choose egg pasta over wheat. The reasons for this is it contains more B vitamins such as, folic acid, niacin and thiamine. Egg pasta also contains no phytic acid, which is found in wheat pasta and blocks the absorption of some minerals. Most importantly, it tastes much better, you can’t go past a fresh egg pasta!
2) Make sure you still get your 2-3 serves of vegetables. We often just have pasta sauce and cheese when we enjoy a pasta meal but it is important to incorporate vegetables. Mix some carrot and zucchini in with your homemade pasta sauce or add some broccoli on top of the dish.
3) Watch the amount od cheese. Cheese is a great source of fat and protein and goes very well with pasta however, it is calorie dense so try not to have more than 20-25 grams. Make sure its full fat! See my blog called ‘skip the skim and go for full fat’ to see why I recommend full fat dairy products.
4) Be picky when you chose a pasta sauce. The best is to make your own (keep a look out for a recipe) that way you know exactly what is gong into it. Otherwise chose one that has no added sugar or additives and is low in sodium, this is hard to find. A quick and easy pasta sauce is chop up some tomatoes, add some onion, garlic, a pinch of unrefined sea salt and basil and a little water and cook until soft.
5) Watch your portion! Yes egg pasta is a healthy dish however, too much of it can have you go over your calorie and carbohydrate needs. Try to stick to 100g (measured un-cooked fresh), this will have around 280 calories and 40 carbohydrates. It is about 3/4-1 cup.
So if you love your pasta, make these little changes and enjoy a yummy nutritious dish!