CHRISTMAS PUMPKIN PIE
Pumpkin pie is not a traditional Aussie Christmas dessert but when I married my husband I inherited a Canadian family. North Americans love their pies and it is my husbands favourite dessert so I love to bake one each Christmas. My recipe is barely sweetened, I find pumpkins to be sweet and further sweetness are not necessary. So enjoy this healthy variety of the pumpkin pie!
1 1/2 cups of plain wholemeal spelt flour or buckwheat flour for a gluten free option
170g chilled butter or lard
1 tabs old water
2 cups organic pumpkin purée
1/3 cup organic maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons organic cinnamon
1 teaspoon organic ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon organic nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon organic ground cloves or all-spice
3/4 cup organic milk of your choice. Be sure that it is from pastured cows if choosing cows milk
3/4 cup organic heavy cream, from pastured cows or coconut cream
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
3 large organic eggs, from pastured hens
1) Make pastry in food processor. Process all ingredients until combined. Turn out on lightly floured surface and bring together with hands. Shape into disc and wrap in plastic. refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2) Roll out pastry between sheets of plastic wrap or glad bake to 3mm thick. Place in ungreased pie tin (with removable base) and prick bottom of pastry 10 times with fork.
Place in freezer for 1 hour. (Freezing pastry means you do not need to blind bake with dried beans or rice).
3) Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
1) Turn oven to 190 degrees Celsius. In a medium size saucepan, combine the pumpkin purée, spices, salt and maple syrup until smooth.
2) Turn on the stove to medium heat, stir frequently until whips of steam rise from the pot. Stir continuously until the mixture steams and you see plops. it should smell like cooked spices and pumpkin. This will take around 5 minutes or so.
3) Remove from the stove and whisk in the milk and cream. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl, and then add them to the pumpkin mixture slowly, so that they don’t cook.
4) Once all combined, pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust and bake for around 60 minutes. The pie is cooked when it puffs in the middle and jiggles when moved and has small cracks on top.
Serve with cream